x
hyannis arts armoryHYANNIS, MASSACHUSETTS

The Hyannis Armory was constructed in 1958 to serve as training, meeting administrative and equipment storage and maintenance facility for the Massachusetts Army National Guard. The Armory rose to national prominence during the presidential campaign of John F. Kennedy, when in 1960, the victory press conference was held at the Armory.

designLAB architects was engaged to perform existing conditions analysis and feasibility study for the transformation of the Armory into a Performing Arts, Events, and Cultural Center. The main hall was programmed for flexible events programming ranging from visual art gallery, to performance space, to wedding venue, to car show. Support space to the south and on the lower level were designed for educational programs in the arts and artist-in residence programs.