dLAB Studio An exploration of our firm's small projects and researchNEWS
35 Channel Center St. #103
Boston MA 02210
Built in 1899, the original Hyde Park Branch Public Library epitomized the classical library’s aspiration to express the ideals of enlightenment and self--improvement through learning, following the Carnegie Model. One hundred years later, the original structure has been renovated and an addition built to continue the City of Boston’s commitment to improving the learning resources of its public libraries in all districts of the city. The addition doubled the size of the branch, added technological improvements, and provided a welcoming and distinctive glass “vitrine,” displaying the library’s stacks prominently. The branch was awarded the National Honor Award for Architecture in 2000 by the American Institute of Architects.
Robert J Miklos FAIA design principal while at Schwartz Silver Architects
Photographer: Steve Rosenthal